Syrine Ben Ayed - Week 16 - Unboxing Trinkets of Time
It’s only a cardboard box–17 inches wide, adorned with a garden of pink and purple flowers and the delicate cursive of the mantra, “Follow Your Dreams.”
A cardboard box that was once so seemingly insignificant, only meant to serve the sole purpose of holding the lavender TY Beanie Boo cat, that jar of teal bath bombs that smelled so soapy yet sweet, and an embellished birthday card covered with a glittered 9 on its cover, signed “love, your friend, Sarah.” A gift box meant to be opened, emptied, and forgotten.
Concealed in the back of my closet, however, this once ordinary object has transformed through time, becoming my personal vault, a diary of tales told through miscellaneous trinkets, each piece its own chapter of my story. From every card I have received since that 9th birthday, to the wooden twig I picked up on my first camping trip, to the Youth XS Pacific West gymnastic leotard that once adorned my dreams.
Just as I find solace in the embrace of my best friends or the vast, seemingly endless, expanse of the horizon, riffling through this box has become another form in which I seek refuge–my tangible escape down Memory Lane. In the quiet sanctuary of my room, I find solace in reclining upon the wooden floor, carefully unboxing treasures from years past, each one a cherished memory turned over and over in my hands. I ponder the memories attached to each, allowing my consciousness to drift into the past, revisiting those special moments that echo with laughter and joy. I allow myself to soak in the elixir of nostalgic bliss, reminding me of the beauty of life's journey, despite turbulence, and of the love and connections that have shaped who I am.
Hi Syrine!
ReplyDeleteThe image you included in your blog caught my attention, as I have a bedazzled shoe box that looks alarmingly similar, sitting in a corner of my closet with the same purpose as yours. I think many girls our age collect minuscule yet significant items in boxes similar to ours, as this stage of our lives is infiltrated with nostalgia and remembrance. I found the items that you listed, which represent every important event and phase throughout your entire childhood, incredibly touching. Your inclusion of the extra-small size tag on the leotard made me picture us as children, with entirely different aspirations and thoughts than we do now, yet just as appreciative of sweet memories and gifts from those we love. The idea that your box was once intended to hold a simple gift, but had the power to serve as an aggregate for all of the emotions and memories you have accumulated over the past years reminded me of how small things can hold such immense sentimental value. Overall, your blog was a touching reminder of how we tend to hold on to our tangible memories in handy ways.
Hi Syrine! I really enjoyed reading your blog. I actually wrote about the same thing for a blog before too! I also have a box in the back of my closet where I store all memorable items such as cards and mini gifts. I loved how you wrote specifically about the items such as your twig and leotard with full descriptions as it made me reminisce about my childhood favorite items. The way to express the thought that you find comfort in the box, as a person finds comfort in friends or the beauty of the horizon is something that I can easily understand. You did an excellent job of portraying the notion of nostalgia. I fully relate to how you can find joy in this box as it contains your memories. It has always amazed me how things that may appear ordinary, can then become imbued with great symbolic significance. Your blog post reminded me of the importance of these tangible connections to our memories. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your blog!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Syrine! I enjoyed how your blog reflected an object of memories that carry many of the things that you have built a connection with. The cardboard box reminds me of an old tradition that my family used to have: using a shoebox to store random objects that represented ourselves. I enjoyed how you started transitioning from a box that was concealed in a closet to one that carried value. Your blog illustrates the significance of insignificant objects turned into symbols of personal history. The descriptive language used towards describing various objects that transform the box into a personal vault establishes an imagistic view for readers to connect with your experience. This reminded me of the many cards I collected every year from my family whenever I visited them in Atlanta. Your blog made me feel a sense of nostalgia from reflecting on cherished items and the memories they hold.
ReplyDelete